Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lots of squash, fire

Last week we grew over 150 pounds of squash, partially because we didn't realize how often peak squash needs to be harvested (about every other day; we were harvesting every 4 days). Most of the larger stuff doesn't sell as well in market, but we all still enjoy it (Reed: "it is immoral not to eat squash at every meal")


In other news, we had a fire at the farm. No major damage was done, except for the tractor/mower that started the fire.


Nick can probably tell the story better than I can, but basically he was mowing when the tractor caught on fire (perhaps because the grass was bunching up underneath the mower, but we still don't really know why). Nick ran and called 911, and a fire truck came pretty promptly.

We had to babysit the fire for another 12 hours or so, since it kept trying to resurrect itself from the coals. Probably about 1/4 acre burned, which has since been tilled in preparation for planting!

2 comments:

Aaron said...

wow... sorry to hear about the fire... but I bet it will be good soil.

Hugh said...

that tractor/mower almost blew up a couple times when I was riding on it. I noticed sparks when it hit a small rock/gravel and then smoke came out. Must be really dry out there this past month. I guess the burning could ad potash and alkalinity to the soil.