Tuesday, June 3, 2008

New Season at Glass Farm

A lot is being done to prepare for the change in seasons. The Texas summer sun is too hot for many plants currently in the greenhouse, and we're working hard to transplant them outside. Crops are starting to fruit, and we have gotten tomatoes, radishes, and the biggest zucchinis I've ever seen. Collectively, we've learned a lot this spring, and we will be better prepared to come into the fall season, Texas' second growing season.

A lot of other things have changed at the Glass community. Hugh moved to our community in Tyler, so I've taken over the greenhouse. Jeff will stay on the farm every other week, the other week out of town. We have two new members, or maybe I should say returning members, Tyler and Laura. They have been on the farm before, and they are returning to spend a while at the Glass Center.

The situations with the farm animals has changed, too. The goats now live down the street at the quonset hut. We were given 4 more hens and a rooster. The chickens have gotten out of the pen and now live free-range around the coop. The good news is that we have a hen brooding 18 eggs (!) which will surely give us a few baby chicks. The bad news is that the chickens are in danger from predators when they are outside the pen, and the goats are running out of food. The solution is to have movable fencing systems that can be put over land that we need the chickens and goats to feed off of.

Things are starting to heat up, and jumping in the lake looks like a better idea every day. Hopefully Texas summer won't be any worse than Florida summer.

2 comments:

will said...

How are the dogs and the chickens interacting with each other??

Anonymous said...

I am not sleeping in the greenhouse, but I have mounted the national flag of Kevonia on a makeshift pile of dirt, so you can clearly see that I have "taken over" the greenhouse. ;)