ok, I have extremely sad news. During last night's freeze, our baby goat died. He was a victim of ignorance and negligence. Jeff nor Duel nor I knew anything about raising a baby goat, and when we realized that Nan was pregnant, we hesitated before doing the necessary research.
That is very sad. Please see the ADA (American Dairy Goat Association) section. http://www.adga.org/ManagementCalendar.htm
It looks like you have Boer/Nubian cross goats? That seems like an odd choice. I suggest you investigate some dairy-centered alpine breeds that are high-yield producers of milk. Then you can manufacture soap, cheese, etc. from the milk. You can castrate the little males and they turn into nice little meat goats. They are a lot of work to take care of, but worth it.
You'll get better tasting milk by keeping the females separated from the males, and the milk will also taste better if the goats get alfalfa hay or straight grass and the grain they get is rolled barley.
2 comments:
ok, I have extremely sad news. During last night's freeze, our baby goat died. He was a victim of ignorance and negligence. Jeff nor Duel nor I knew anything about raising a baby goat, and when we realized that Nan was pregnant, we hesitated before doing the necessary research.
Next time, we'll be more prepared.
That is very sad. Please see the ADA (American Dairy Goat Association) section. http://www.adga.org/ManagementCalendar.htm
It looks like you have Boer/Nubian cross goats? That seems like an odd choice. I suggest you investigate some dairy-centered alpine breeds that are high-yield producers of milk. Then you can manufacture soap, cheese, etc. from the milk. You can castrate the little males and they turn into nice little meat goats. They are a lot of work to take care of, but worth it.
You'll get better tasting milk by keeping the females separated from the males, and the milk will also taste better if the goats get alfalfa hay or straight grass and the grain they get is rolled barley.
Post a Comment